Saturday, July 05, 2008

Public Transport...

...and why I hate it.

Since last week I'm working half-time, as a Voxtron-software-consultant, for Fortis Bank in Brussels.
Since Fortis doesn't provide parking spaces for 'externals', the only way to reach that office in the centre of Brussels, is by taking the train to Brussel Centraal, and then a short walk.
(Unless you want to queue the E40 for two hours, and then park your car in a dodgy car-park as near to the office as possible...)
Oh joy.

So public transport it is...

I don't know why, I don't really recall since when exactly, I haven't really thought about how it's come to this point... but PUBLIC TRANSPORT TOTALLY DISGUSTS ME.

Have a become so egoistic? So asocial? Such a happy-car-driver?

You won't hear me complain about the quality of the train itself though, no sir, they're good; they're comfortable. During this time of year you even get to find a spot to sit down.

To not nag the crap out of you, I'll just give ONE example.
One example that annoys me endlessly is what SOME PEOPLE DO ON THE TRAIN. I mean, seriously, sleeping is for in your bed. And certainly SNORING on the seat behind me, is a big fat NO GO. Come on; go to bed earlier, or stay in bed in the morning, but don't go snoring on the train! (I've had my deal of that at home already, I don't need it AGAIN on my way to work!)

Anyway, the iPod is a nice invention, so that's taken care of for now...

It's only one example of the so-many things that I hate about public transport, and you'll probably say 'come on you twat, get over it' but... but...
Well. It's hard for me...

I guess I realise now what freedom I have in that stinking, diesel consuming, polluting, lovely car of mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From my point of view, snoring is not so bad.........as I'm always asleep when it happens ;-)

Love
Cate x

Tozansha said...

OMG, you cannot believe how I miss public transportation!!
Yes, just turn your i-pod louder and suck it up. Look outside, let your mind wonder and relax! That's what the train is all about! And yes, sometimes you come across some really weird people...
Congrats on the new job btw! ;o)

Dennis said...

When it comes to meeting the weirdest and most obnoxious people 'on the go', I still think the NY subway system is the best. Of course, I've never had to commute to Brussels before so I can't compare.

Just make sure the battery to your Ipod is fully charged, or you'll end up listening to snoring fat people and screaming kids on your way to work.

So how long are you still up for this project ?

Few more days.. as soon as I get my hands on a car, I will definitely stop by Lotenhulle to visit all three of you !

-Dennis

Kirsten said...

the utah bus is pretty good. I like it. But sometimes I just can't drag my self out of bed early enough to take it, so I end up driving of course.